Students who have uncertain housing, a temporary address or no permanent physical address are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law.
If you live under any of the conditions below, you are able to attend school and DO NOT need to provide proof of residency, immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results, school records, or legal guardianship papers.
- In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)
- In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
- In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
- In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
- In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
- In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
- With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth
- Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible.
- Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance zone or district.
- Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin.
- Qualify automatically for child nutrition programs (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
- Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.
- Making sure his/her student attends school regularly and completes homework and projects on time.
- Attending parent/teacher conferences, Back-to-School Nights and other school-related activities.
- Staying informed of school rules, regulations, and activities.
- Participating in school advisory/decision-making activities.
For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment contact:
Local school district liaison:
Coordinator, Student Services
548 West Lancaster Blvd, Lancaster CA 93534
Phone (661) 729-2321
Coordinator II Los Angeles County Office of Education
12830 Columbia Way - ECW 376
Downey CA 90242
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 6208
Sacramento, California 95814